Take positive action today and help us care for Aotearoa’s precious wild birds. From a one-off donation to regular giving, your support gives wild birds a second chance at life. Thank you so much for caring!
Ways you can support us
Everything we do depends on the generosity of people like you. We receive no government funding and rely entirely on our wonderful supporters to help us provide life-saving care for thousands of birds every year.
The most effective way to support us is by becoming a regular donor. Your regular donation will give us stability, allow us to plan for the future, and ensure that our doors remain open all year round.
We need around $650,000 each year to provide food, medication and housing for our patients and to fund our small team.
- $10 helps buy fresh fruit for tauhou (silvereye)
- $20 provides fresh nectar for four tūī
- $50 goes towards care for one bird a day
- $100 helps fund pain relief and physiotherapy for six kererū
- $200 can buy fresh crustaceans and fish for kororā (little blue penguin), tākapu (Australasian gannet) and tītī (Cook’s petrel) for one month
- $500 helps fund one week of food for our hospital patients
- $1,000 supports veterinary care, surgery and x-rays for ten birds
- $5,000 buys one year of live insects – vital for the rehabilitation of birds such as kōtare (kingfisher), pīwakawaka (fantail), riroriro (grey warbler) and warou (welcome swallow)
Donation by bank transfer
You can also make a one-off donation or set up an automatic payment (AP) directly into our bank account.
When donating by bank transfer, please include the details below and email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can say thank you and send you a receipt.
Account name: BirdCare Aotearoa
Account number: 12-3029-0421056-50
Particulars: Surname, First name
Code: Your contact phone number
Reference: ‘One-off’ (for a one-off donation) or ‘AP_frequency of donation’ (for a recurring donation) e.g. ‘AP_weekly,’ ‘AP_monthly’
If you make a one-off donation, we will send you a receipt within 30 days. If you set up a regular donation, we will send you one receipt at the end of the financial year (June 2023).
BirdCare Aotearoa is a registered charity, registration no. CC37288, IRD no. 099-610-379. All donations over $5 are tax deductible.
BirdCare Aotearoa operates in New Zealand, uses SSL, does not store credit card details, and all payments are handled by a secure PCI compliant, third party.
Credit Card Donation
Make a real impact and bring a smile to someone’s face by making a donation in their honour with one of our gift certificates.
We have a wide range of gift certificates to choose from, with birds and images to suit all personalities and occasions. Every gift certificate purchased contributes directly to our work caring for sick, injured, and orphaned wild birds.
We are always in need of donations of materials and services. In-kind donations are a source of much-needed support for our bird care and help us reduce our overall operating costs.
If you would like to help us out with any of the following, we promise to put them to good use!
- Professional services, including: builder, gardener, electrician, plumber, graphic designer
- Cleaning products, including: fragrance-free laundry powder, fragrance-free multi-purpose cleaning spray, disposable gloves (powder-free nitrile or latex), black trash bags, fly spray, puppy pads
- Outdoor supplies, including: gardening equipment, timber and other building materials, river stones, paint (neutral colours)
- Bird food, including:
- Eggs – fresh or hard-boiled (free-range preferred)
- Mealworms – live (from Bugfarm New Zealand) or dried (from Animates)
- Bloodworms – frozen (from Animates)
- Live crickets (from your garden, Inzect Direct or Hollywood Fish Farm)
- Brine shrimp – frozen
- Dry kitten food (chicken / beef)
- Vegetables – frozen mixed vegetables or fresh spinach, silverbeet, kūmara, pumpkin, carrots
- Berries (fresh or frozen), oranges, apples, kiwifruit, feijoas, grapes
Are you interested in donating services, goods, or equipment? We would love to hear from you! Please contact email@example.com for our current wish list.
Gift to us through The Good Registry
BirdCare Aotearoa is a proud partner of The Good Registry – a website where you can ask for and receive donations for charities instead of physical gifts.
There are two ways you can share the joy of giving through The Good Registry:
- Set up a Good Registry for a special event. Your friends and family can donate to your favourite charity (BirdCare Aotearoa!) and leave celebratory messages on your registry page. Whether it’s a birthday, anniversary, wedding or an occasion in memory of someone special, a donation in place of gifts will make your celebration even more special. And it will make the world of difference to birds in our care. Register your occasion on The Good Registry and choose BirdCare Aotearoa to get started.
- Give Good Gift Cards to your family, friends, workmates, or customers. These are online vouchers that recipients can exchange for donations to the charities they choose. There are 65 charities to choose from, including BirdCare Aotearoa!
Thank you for considering including a gift to BirdCare Aotearoa in your Will. Leaving a gift in your Will is one of the most meaningful and powerful ways to support our work, and leaves a lasting legacy for the wild birds of New Zealand.
BirdCare Aotearoa exists because of the kindness and generosity of bird lovers like you. Your gift will help ensure we can continue to provide life-saving care and treatment to wild birds in the future.
We understand this is an important decision, which you may wish to talk over with your loved ones first. We recommend you discuss your legacy wishes with a solicitor to ensure your Will is drawn up correctly and that your wishes will be carried out exactly as intended.
Should you decide to leave us a gift in your Will, please let us know so we can thank you appropriately for your generosity. Or if you would prefer to remain anonymous, we will respect your wishes. Your decisions regarding your Will are personal and private. We will not share your bequest information with any other organisation and all correspondence will be dealt with in confidence.
If you would like to discuss supporting BirdCare Aotearoa through your Will, please contact our General Manager, Lynn Miller firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 021 084 37146.
Donate your tax credits
Support our precious birdlife by paying forward the tax credits of donations you have made in the past.
BirdCare Aotearoa is a registered charity, registration number CC37288. Donations over $5 are tax deductible. To claim your donation rebate, simply submit your donation receipts to the IRD. They have information on their website to guide you through the process. You can then choose to re-gift your rebate to us, amplifying the impact of your original donation – at no extra cost to you!
If you prefer not to deal with the IRD but would like to gift your rebate to us, we have made this easier for you – by partnering with Supergenerous.
Supergenerous, licensed by IRD, can claim your rebate on your behalf. It only takes a few minutes to sign up and they give you the option to gift your rebate back to us as a new donation. (It’s free to sign up but they take a fee of 10% + GST, if they secure a donation rebate for you).
Whether you choose to claim your rebate directly from the IRD or through Supergenerous, you can help give even more birds a second chance at life – without reaching into your pocket!
BirdCare Aotearoa is competing to win a share of the MyGivingCircle grants.
Voting is free and you can vote once per week – Please vote for BirdCare Aotearoa weekly to help us win a share of the grants! 💚
If you are able to donate, MyGivingCircle will add one vote for every $1 donated – and more for regular giving.
VOTE FOR FREE today to help give wild birds a second chance at life! Click the blue button below to go to the MyGivingCircle voting page.
Do good AND never worry about toilet paper shortages again!
When you order your toilet paper through My Fundraiser, BirdCare Aotearoa receives 10% of the full purchase price – that’s $5 for every box sold.
The cartons and rolls are plastic-free, purchases are tax deductible, and there is free shipping to some areas.*
When you order your toilet rolls from My Fundraiser, know that you are helping sick, injured and orphaned birds receive the professional care they need.
Visit My Fundraiser to order your toilet paper now!
*MyFundraiser ships throughout the North Island. Shipping ranges from free to $5 flat rate, depending on area.
Through payroll giving, you can support BirdCare Aotearoa by having your donation automatically deducted from your salary.
As with other donations, you are entitled to a tax credit of 33.33 cents for every dollar donated. But instead of having to wait until the end of the tax year to receive the credit, 33% of your donation is credited to your pay at the time of donation.
So, if you donate $20 fortnightly to BirdCare Aotearoa through payroll giving, it will only cost you $13 because you receive 33% of your donation back as a tax credit immediately in your pay!
As payroll giving is still quite new to New Zealand, not all employers offer it. Just ask your manager or payroll administrator if your workplace participates in payroll giving. If not, please consider setting up a regular donation to us instead.
Information for employers
As an employer, payroll giving is a great way to introduce corporate social responsibility to your organisation. Payroll giving can also boost staff morale and complement any existing volunteering and community engagement programmes you may offer.
For more information, please visit the IRD website or email email@example.com.
1% for the Planet
BirdCare Aotearoa is proud to be an Environmental Partner of 1% for the Planet, a growing global movement of companies and organisations coming together to protect the future of our planet.
Through this partnership, we are eligible to receive donations from 1% for the Planet business members who have committed to giving 1% of their sales each year to environmental partners such as BirdCare Aotearoa.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the 1% for the Planet website.