Wildlife Welfare - Creating Preparedness for a Potential Catastrophic Weather Event.
Wildlife welfare is now incorporated in the Civil Defence ‘Coordinated Incident Management System (CIMS)’. BirdCare Aotearoa recently coordinated a Tabletop exercise to build preparedness for a catastrophic weather event impacting wildlife.
Delegates from various organisations worked together during a simulated exercise to develop a strategy for coordinating the rescue and appropriate care of wildlife in a large-scale emergency situation. It was a very valuable collaboration of expertise amongst a group of organisations who recognise the importance of wildlife welfare in all situations.
Ngā mihi nui - thank you very much to:
- Auckland Council - Waitākere Ranges Local Board for funding
- Auckland Zoo for the event facility
- NIWA for simulating an adverse weather event for the exercise
- Pauline Nijman from Massey University for presentation of an actual adverse event
- Delegates who represented the following organisations
Ministry for Primary Industries, DOC, Auckland Council Conservation Advisor, Auckland Emergency Management, NZ Defence Force - Auckland, Wildlife Manager Auckland Airport, The University of Auckland, SPCA, WReNNZ, HUHA Trust, Matuku Link, Birds New Zealand, Native Bird Rescue - Waiheke Island, Hamilton Zoo, Auckland Zoo, BirdCare Aotearoa.